Thursday, September 13, 2007

In The Beginning

I've had a few attempts at "music blogs." Or, namely, just one: on a personal journal I would occasionally make mixes and compilations, archive them, and spend a few hours wringing my hands at terrible mp3-devouring sites like YouSendIt and SendSpace all in the name of sharing music with my peers. But it gives me a certain skin-tightening heart-leaping joy when people are turned on to the artists I spoon feed them and start asking for more tunes or where they can find the albums and such. However, I plan on maintaining this blog more on the grounds of actually sometimes-discussing/confusing myself/rambling about music and art, rather than continuously slapping up a link to ear-delight and telling everyone to get up and at 'em.

So, in my biased and uninformed opinion, I bring you We Are Murderers.

Lately I've been digging out a lot of my post-punk albums: they've been ever so slightly overshadowed by my pursuit of psychedelic music. I don't know what it is; it probably has something to do with a lot of bands currently surfacing that sound in that vein, showing appreciation for New Wave and No Wave and all sorts of experimental electronic work. Makes me feel all nostalgic and follicle tingly. I sound old/prententious for saying that seeing as I'm only seventeen and first started listening to groups like Joy Division and Suicide when I was about thirteen or fourteen, but I suppose it is because I privately and intimately discovered such artists on my own and by listening at the feet of my older friends who I had always admired for having these amazingly wild and eclectic tastes in music.

- Lemon Kittens - These Men Of Old England
- Siouxsie & The Banshees - Sitting Room
- Suicide - Devasation
- Bauhaus - God In An Alcove
- Virgin Prunes - Bau-dachong
- DAF - Als War's Das Letzte Mal
- Kas Product - Man Of Time
- Pop Group - Where There's A Will
- Pere Ubu - Real World
- The Cravats - Working Down Underground
- Glaxo Babies - Because Of You
- Metal Urbain - Panik

8 comments:

james.M;; said...

Wow. Some of those tracks are great.

Ana Frightens said...

Some is better than none! Pleased you stopped in the garden to listen to the flowers.

electriceyeonme said...

Ah Lemon Kittens. They included among there members Karl Blake and Danielle Dax did they not? Have you heard any Shock Headed Peters? At first they were a band featuring Blake but turned into just him and David Knight.

Ana Frightens said...

They certainly did include those two. I'm a fan of Danielle Dax's solo work... Yes, I have heard Shock Headed Peters. I've actually managed to get a hold of a few of their albums in mp3 format and enjoy them immensely.

electriceyeonme said...

My Dad played guitar on Danielle's Cathouse single and played live guitar for SHP a couple of times. He used to be in a band with David Knight called The Fast Set.

Ana Frightens said...

That's amazing. I suppose your father has quite a bit of bragging rights, as would you. However, I've not heard much about The Fast Set.

electriceyeonme said...

I could send you a few songs if you'd like?

Ana Frightens said...

I would like that! Actually, I think we have you and your band added on Murderbox Music? Maybe that would be a more convenient form of correspondence than on blogspot...